Friday 25 January 2013

Hooked

It's official, I love Crossfit. I went to my second class at my box and it went great. I was a bit nervous going as I feel a bit out of my element, but once I start going it fades away. There were seven other people that showed up today and I liked the smaller class. The instructor that taught my first class was the instructor today and helped me throughout the hour.

We started with a buy in push press. We did four reps on the minute every minute for 6 minutes at 75% of 1 rep max. Honestly I don't know what that means but basically we chose a weight that was challenging but still doable for the push press and it four times every minute for six minutes. And rested after we had completed the four. I was using a 15lb bar with 15lbs on each side. I did pretty well and I think next time I can go higher. 

Then we got ready for the WOD (aka workout of the day). Today's WOD was:

12 Overhead Squats
9 Ring Dips
6 Box Jumps

4 rounds, after the four rounds finish with 50 sit-ups.

However, as I am a weakling and couldn't even hold myself up on the rings my WOD was modified to this:

12 Overhead Squats
12 Push-Ups (on knees, still challenging though!)
6 Box Jumps

For the push-ups I thought it was just down and up, but in Crossfit your chest has to go all the way down. Yeah, that wasn't happening. So he told me to go on my knees and move my arms closer together. That was just as challenging and I definitely felt it.

Another thing I found out, I hate overhead squats. Every time I would squat down the bar doesn't stay straight and comes over my head. It's hard for me to keep my arms straight and the bar high. 

Image Source, What I should look like.

A thing I have to work on I guess. Also I put 5lbs on each side of th 15lb bar, on my second round I took them off. Way to hard. Right now I just need to get my form down on these things and then start adding weight.

I finished the WOD in 10:45. Everyone was really encouraging and told me to keep going. I didn't care I was the last one done. I did it the best I could and I know that's a number I can work on in the future to get down. 

In case anyone is interested. I bought the unlimited monthly classes for $190 (including tax). I thought it was pretty good because I like to do both strength and cardio. A spinning studio near my house has spinning classes for $130 and bodypump classes for $190! So with Crossfit I get the best of both worlds for a lot cheaper. This is a start of a beautiful thing :).

No comments:

Post a Comment